Toronto Celebrates Diversity - And Goes a Little Over the Top?

I want to start off by assuring you all that I am in no way a racist or prejudiced person by any means.

That being said, I have just come across an article on a fellow Torontonian's blog, TorontoMike, that made me laugh until I almost "had an accident" in my pants. Apparently, on the cover of a recent Toronto Fun Guide, a black man's face was superimposed onto a white man's face in a pseudo-family photo.


At first glance at this cover photo, I wasn't totally sold on the idea that the editors of this magazine would actually do that to make the picture more diverse. Then I clicked the link on TorontoMike's page that took me to a before and after of the cover.

Upon viewing the comparison, I'm sure you now understand why I managed to almost pee my pants.

At this time, I ask you, my readers, is this really necessary?! I mean, sure, Toronto is known for our diversity and celebration of people from every descent you could possibly think of, but has it really come to this?

I almost find it ridiculous that we still find ourselves tip-toeing around issues such as these. Would African-Americans who live in Toronto truly be offended if this face hadn't been photoshopped onto the cover of the Toronto Fun Guide? Would Toronto still be considered "fun" if the cover didn't advertise diversity to such a degree? Where is the Chinese face in the mix? Or the Korean? How do you know the Native Americans don't feel left out, seeing as they were here first?

In my opinion, I believe that this is an example of the City of Toronto having a bit of a blonde moment.

What's yours?

StheF

1 comments:

  Ash

June 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Wow how did no one comment on this. That is hilarious. Good call-out and so glad you brought up Native Americans! Simply cause they don't get mentioned enough...

haha anyways, indded, Super blonde moment for Toronto's in Summer 2009!