My First and Long Overdue Critique

Guess what, y'all!

I managed to find a cord that is compatible with my camera in the jumble of wires in my house. You know what that means? I was able to salvage the (four) pictures that were on my camera with the remaining seconds of battery life left!

A few weeks ago, I went to Rol San Restaurant for Dim Sum at 323 Spadina Avenue in Toronto's China Town, just south of College on the East side. You can see this restaurant from the street, as it has a HUGE red banner that says "DIM SUM ALL DAY" above the front door. What was interesting about this restaurant was that it was at the BACK of another restaurant! Once you go through the double doors, you have to walk through the initial restaurant to the back, where you come across some chairs and a few lobster tanks. Lo and behold, there is a small Dim Sum restaurant tucked away.

I went to this restaurant with Hamir and his family. I used to never eat Chinese food until I started going for lunch and dinner outings with the Sabnani's. They sure do love their Chinese food!!

At first, I was a little put off by the decor of the restaurant.

The walls were painted fluorescent green and orange and decorated with an assortment of "vintage" Disney posters and mirrors. Not to mention the Christmas holly that was hanging on one wall. It doesn't really give off the same feel as any other Dim Sum restaurant along the Spadina Ave. China Town strip.

As you can see behind Puja, there is a lovely Cinderella poster and of course, a mirror, on the wall.

Now, when it comes to Dim Sum, I like it fresh. I hate going to those busy Chinese restaurants that serve Dim Sum by way of carts, as the food arrives at your table more or less cold and mushy. When we ordered our food at Rol San, the food came out quickly, but it was hot! The food had wonderful taste and flavour to it.

We ordered Steamed BBQ Pork Buns, Har Gow (shrimp dumpings), Seafood Dumplings, Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaf, Pan Fried Turnip Cakes, Deep Fried Shrimp with Chives Cake, Mushroom & Chicken in Rice Rolls, Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce, Beef Short-Ribs in Black Pepper Sauce, and Pan-Fried Pork Dumplings.

You can't exactly see the menu clearly, but I took it home to give you an idea of how many items they have on their menu, as well as to give you an idea of how authentic the food is.

Puja should be the spokesmodel for Har Gow!

The food was delicious and quite obviously fresh, but that being said, I cannot speak to highly of the service. We had ordered a few spring rolls which the waitress forgot about, which is normal of any restaurant. But when we reminded her, it was almost as if we were accusing her of spitting in our food. She seemed quite offended, so we were quick to cancel the order. Also, some of the servers cannot exactly speak English, which can be sort of a nuisance, but something you have to get past on any trip to China Town, along with the unmistakable attitude.

Out of all the restaurants I have been to on Spadina, which is A LOT, I most definitely rank this one of the highest.

Party Size: 5
Price Range: $10-$20/person
Visit Again?: Yes
Food: 4/5
Service: 2/5
Atmosphere: 1/5
OVERALL: 4/5

Until next meal,

0 comments: