Stratto Wine & Grill

Not long after my trip to China Town, I went to an amazing new restaurant for dinner, just south of Wilson, on Avenue Road: Stratto Wine & Grill @ 1977 Avenue Road. I went with my Mom, Grandmother and Hamir - a.k.a. a few patrons who are damn well hard to please!

At the time, the restaurant had only been open eight weeks, but I struggled for a 7:30pm reservation, nonetheless. I found it to be a strange area for a new restaurant to open up, but the place was buzzing! We were seated at a great table with a perfect view of the entire restaurant, as well as the front door. This was great for us because we are total people watchers.

Upon being seated, our absolutely charming waiter placed a wooden platter of delicious bread on our table with what they call their "house dip." I am NOT bluffing when I say this was the BEST dip I have ever had! It beats the usual balsamic and olive oil by a mile. It was comprised of balsamic and olive oil - of course - but mixed in was an absolutely remarkable chunk of succulent feta cheese. I am a huge fan of feta cheese, but I have never tasted anything quite like this. My mouth is watering, just writing about it!!

Our waiter assisted us with the extensive wine list, and served us a fabulous Portuguese red wine. I am unsure of the name, but I WILL find out for you! To be honest, I am not a fan of red wine at all, so for me to enjoy this bottle is almost miraculous. It was a full-bodied, savory and sweet wine that left a juicy taste in your mouth.

Next came our appetizers. I had the Buffalo Caprese salad, which was to die for. The mozzarella was the perfect tenderness and the tomatoes were not too far from perfect themselves. Greens were delicately placed around the plate, with a light drizzle of balsamic and olive oil to top it off. My mom had a Caesar salad, which was more or less matchless. A splendid mix of garlic and parmesean complimented each other, while the lettuce was fresh and the croutons were crunchy.

Then came the main courses. I had the appetizer-sized Mussles, which were marinated in a delectable white wine and garlic sauce, and mingled with fresh greens and crispy fried shoestring onions.

My Mom had the Spaghetti Carbonara, which was truly divine. Hamir had the gnocchi, which was handmade in house and smothered in a creamy rose sauce - mouthwatering. Lastly, my Grandmother had the tender veal chop with buttery mashed potatoes and crisp green beans.

For dessert, I had none other than a Rasberry Tartuffo, which is always a treat, as I never have room for dessert by the end of such a filling meal. Of course, it was wonderful, but what else could be expected after such a meal.

As you can quite clearly tell from my review, I adored this restaurant. It is definitely one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever been to, with the exclusion of the restaurants I went to in Italy itself. The service was stupendous, the food is to die for, the prices are definitely reasonable, the wine selection is extensive, and to top it all off, the atmosphere is intimate.

Make reservations, because I can assure you Stratto Wine & Grill will indubitably be brimming!

Party Size: 4
Price Range: $20-$40/person
Visit Again?:
Yes!!
Food: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Atmosphere: 4/5 (tables are a little close together)
OVERALL:
5/5

See you there!

0 comments: