High School Graduation

...Not mine! My lovely cousin (basically sister - we've lived next door to each other since we were babies!) Jessie experienced an important and huge milestone in her life on Friday, June 19. She graduated grade twelve from Greenwood College School on the honour role, with her Gold Duke of Edinburgh award. She looked absolutely gorgeous in (my) pale yellow Betsey Johnson dress with small white stitched polkadots.
We all met at Pallucci for a pre-ceremony lunch and endless photo shoot before walking down the hill to the school to watch Jessie stride across the stage and receive her high school diploma.
Sitting in Greenwood's gym, I felt a simultaneous surge of excitement, pride, nostalgia, butterflies and some sadness. Excitement for Jessie to finally be done with high school and moving on to bigger and better things; pride for being related to such an amazing girl - woman! - who graduated with amazing grades and a prominent future; nostalgia for my own high school experience; yet some sadness because, though I did graduate from high school and received my diploma, I unfortunately and sadly did not attend my graduation ceremony.

Watching Jessie sitting up on that stage, my emotions were at an all-time high. Thankfully, before the ceremony commenced, a woman walked around with a cardboard box full of kleenex packages - I used a full pack!
The ceremony was incredibly long - we were there from 2.30pm - 5.30pm (holy cow), but every chance I got, the waterworks would turn on like a switch. As Jessie walked to the left of the stage, getting ready to have her name called, on cue, I burst into tears (not quietly, embarrassingly enough!).
And then her name was called. My mom and I let out some woop's and woo-hoo's while the tears poured out of my eyes. I couldn't help it. I didn't even get to hear what her advisor had to say about her because my sobs were more or less drowning him out!
Despite the incredible length of the ceremony, it was beautiful.
I am so proud of you, Jess! You're a beautiful, talented, intelligent girl who's going places, without a doubt.

Here's to the next chapter!

StheF

0 comments: