"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

The title of this post is one of my favourite quotes. It was said by famed and acclaimed author, George Orwell. It's one that I find relatable, and definitely applicable to our society, and societies around the globe, in this day in age.

This afternoon, I went for a run under the piping hot sun. The Weather Network (I live by it) informed me that it was a sunny day, 31 degrees - feels like 38. These kinds of days are my favourite to run. You really get to push yourself in the heat, sweat it all out, stop in the park to stretch out and bask under the rays for 15 minutes, then carry on your way.


My favourite part about running is no matter how many people are around, no matter how many cars drive past, no matter how many construction men whistle, I am in my own world. Running is an escape for me. It is one of the reasons I look forward to summer the most. It is the best way to organize my thoughts, reflect on what's going on in my life, and just clear my head.


Lately, a lot has been going on for me in my life, personally speaking. It's just so great to let loose and run for miles, without a care in the world at long last. Do you ever feel like you just want to rip your brain out because it won't shut off, or even shut up for one minute? The greatest thing to do on days like that is to hit the ground running and never look back.

Writing has always been an outlet for me as well, but it just doesn't compare to the sound of my running shoes smacking the pavement, my deep, heavy breathing - in through the nose, out through the mouth - and the silence and clarity in my head.

When I woke up this morning, I wrote out a draft of a diet/new lifestyle plan I'm going to try. I call it,
10 STEPS TOWARD SUCCESS
  • Step 1: NO MORE JUNKFOOD! (Chips, fast food, candy, deep-fried food, ice cream, etc.)
  • Step 2: NO MORE POP OR SUGARY DRINKS!
  • Step 3: EAT VEGETABLES WITH EVERY MEAL!
  • Step 4: EAT BREAKFAST! (Wheat or bran cereal, fruit, and a glass of juice)
  • Step 5: NO MORE SLEEPING IN! (Must be out of bed by 10.30am latest)
  • Step 6: RUN AT LEAST THREE TIMES A WEEK! (Make a schedule and stick to it)
  • Step 7: NO MORE BEER OR SUGARY DRINKS! (Only clear drinks or white wine)
  • Step 8: QUIT SMOKING! (By the end of June - Permanently)
  • Step 9: SPEND TIME OUTSIDE EVERY DAY! (Go for a walk, go window shopping)
  • Step 10: DO SOMETHING FUN EVERY DAY!

I really don't think any of these things are unattainable. I even gave myself a realistic date to quit smoking. That's going to be the hardest task on this list, but I know that with enough will power and support from friends, I can do it!

Well, it's time to hop in the shower after being outside all day in the heat! 

Until next time,

StheF

1 comments:

  JediDan

May 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I've been told dum-dum lolipop's are the best way to quit smoking. Whenever you get a craving for a smoke, have a lollipop instead. I would advise doing that one first, the feeling of accomplishment once its over with would serve as a great springboard to accomplish the rest.

If I may make a suggestion? Revel in wonder at something small every day. Its a bit of advice i got when going through a rough time that changed my world.