So I've finished school... Now what?

I got home from school on Saturday night, after a long and grueling day of moving an apartment-load of things from Guelph to Toronto in a Uhaul (obviously with the help of a few friends). Since then, I have been sleeping.

Literally, I feel as if I have been in a permanent comatose state since Saturday night. Maybe even since Saturday morning, as I spent a long & hilarious night out with Katie and Sarah in Guelph on Friday, celebrating our final hoo-rah in the G.

So now I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I am jobless. Unemployed. A full-time sleeper. Out of work. Made redundant. Unwaged. On the dole. A lazy bum. I could go on and on. The point is, it is hard to find a job in our economy's current situation. I mean, it's not as if I haven't tried, although it is tough to find a job in Toronto whilst attending (not really) school, and studying (not really) for exams! But I have handed out my fair share of resumes and have yet to hear back from anyone, other than receiving an interview from Green Acres Summer Day Camp, which of course only pays approximately $3.00/hour.

For the past three summers, I have worked for my mother at her PR agency, Strategic Objectives. It was a great job, and I met a ton of great people - most of whom I am still in contact with and am good friends with - but I was unfortunately stuck under the all-too-familiar "boss's daughter" stigma. Though I did make my circle of friends, I couldn't help but notice when I walked into a room, for example at lunch time, the conversation would switch abruptly. Do I seem like a tattle-tale? Do I give off the impression of a goody-two-shoes? I hope not... I have spent my life thus far proving myself to be the direct opposite of that! (Not on purpose, of course!)

My point is, I am on the hunt to try something new, and have something different to add to my resume to give me a little versatility.

Today, I spent the afternoon at a coin-laundromat, washing everything that I had at school, such as comforters, pillows, couch covers, pillow cases, and more. I had no idea how expensive coin-laundromats were! I had five loads of washers, at a rate of $3.75 per load, plus four drier loads, at a rate of $2.00 per load. I spent a total of $26.75 on laundry! Maybe that's the norm, but it was a first for me, and it just seemed a little up there, considering how often you have to do your laundry!

Tomorrow, I am going to look into how I can turn Humber College's three year PR diploma program into a, I believe they call it, joint-degree, so it can be a university degree. I've heard it's possible, and that would be really ideal, as having a degree in this day in age is pretty vital.

Speaking of Humber College, I am pretty stoked on going to college. I have always thought of college - no offense - as a place where people go if they can't get into university, or can't afford it. However, I've been looking into colleges lately, and have applied to three different programs at Humber (Public Relations, Journalism - print & broadcast, and Media Communications) and it just seems like the best option. University is based 100% on theories and text books, whereas college is just so practical, and gives you skills that are necessary in the real world. If I can turn my diploma into a university degree, what is the point of even going to university!? Obviously there are two sides of the coin on that one, but at this point in time, all I'm focused on is suceeding, and how I can go about doing that.

Not only am I totally stoked on going to college, and trying new things, I am very excited to start completely fresh. I never enjoyed UofGuelph, nor did I ever make a tight-knit circle of friends, which I hear is one of the greatest parts of university, so I hope I get a chance to try again and find that missing part of the post-secondary puzzle. I'm also really excited to live at home again! I've been moved out of my home since grade 11, when I took off to boarding school for two years, and then off to Guelph for another two. It's about time I move back in with my Mom & not have to pay for rent, utilities or food! :) Not to mention the fact that I miss the city so so so so much. Living in Toronto now, with a much greater appreciation for it, will be amazing. I used to always say how much I hated Toronto, and how I would move to another city to live my life, but after being away for so long, I really appreciate all this wonderful city has to offer, and how much I feel at home whenever I am here.

Well, I think that's it for now. What started as a mini-rant about being unemployed turned into a bit of a free-write about everything on my mind at this current point in time.

Stay tuned........

1 comments:

  Justin

April 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I used to have the same opinion of college as well. However I have realized that college provides a very hands on experience.

The joint degree programs in my opinion offer something unique. Not only do you get the skills and actual hands on approach from the college but you are also getting the some theory you can use to back fill on the skills you have learned. Both of which I think are important. I actually believe this so much that after I complete my undergrad I am considering another 2 years in college.